Department of Geography and Geology
University of Salzburg
A - 5020 Salzburg
In fall 2016 I will complete my master studies (M.Sc.) in Geography (specialization on Applied Geomorphology and Alpine Natural Hazards) at the University of Salzburg.
Whereas my bachelor thesis concentrated on large-scale alpine sediment flux and denudation, I am recently more deeply interested in the investigation and understanding of small scale processes controlling alpine landscape development, their interrelations and controlling factors, and their role in relation to natural hazards. In this context the generation of high resolution digital terrain data, surface change modelling and understanding of complex interrelationships and dynamics is fundamental.
My master thesis therefore concentrates on the quantification of debris flow dynamics and the investigation of interacting controlling factors in an alpine torrent (cooperation with the National Park Berchtesgaden, Germany and the University of Salzburg, Austria). The methods used include the generation and analyzation of high resolution digital terrain data (terrestrial laserscanning), climate data and geomorphological mapping. Surface change is interpreted with respect to debris flow triggering thresholds of rainfall intensity.
- Alpine geomorphology and landscape development
- Fluvial geomorphology and sedimentary systems/ sediment flux
- Analysis and reconstruction of geomorphological processes in alpine environments and their interactions with biological, geological and anthropogenic parameters
- Geophysical survey techniques, particularly the generation of high resolution digital terrain data and surface change modelling (Terrestrial Laserscanning (TLS))
Name: Margherita Johanna Stumvoll
Year/ Place of birth: 1987/ Berchtesgaden, Germany
- Since 10/2013: Master studies in Geography (Applied Geomorphology and Alpine Natural Hazards) at the Department of Geography and Geology, University of Salzburg, Austria
- 08/2013: Bachelor thesis at the Department of Geography and Geology, University of Salzburg, Austria. Title (in German): "Denudationsraten in den Alpen - Einflussgrößen, Ansätze zur Quantifizierung und eine Zusammenschau publizierter Ergebnisse"
- 03/2010 - 08/2013: Bachelor studies in Geography at the Department of Geography and Geology, University of Salzburg, Austria
- 05/2007: General qualification for university entrance (Europäisches Gymnasium Berchtesgaden, Deutschland)
Working title (in German): "Geländeoberflächenmodellierung mittels terrestrischem Laserscanning zur Untersuchung der rezenten Murgangdynamik im Einzugsgebiet des Großen Mühlsturzgrabens (Nationalpark Berchtesgaden, Deutschland)"
Working title (English): "Surface change modelling of small-scale debris flow dynamics (Mühlsturzgraben National Park Berchtesgaden, Germany)"
Supervision: Dr. Joachim Götz (University of Salzburg)
- 03/2015 - 6/2016: Research study assistant at the Department of Geography and Geology, University of Salzburg, Austria (several projects including application of TLS, i.a.)
- 10/2015 - 07/2016: Research assistant at the Schülerforschungszentrum Berchtesgaden, Technical University of Munich, Germany
- 04 - 05/2016: Tutor for practical field course (bachelor program): "Methoden und Anwendungen der Bio- und Bodengeographie", University of Salzburg, Austria
- 09 - 10/2014: Cooperation with the Wildbach- and Lawinenverbauung and the University of Salzburg within two projects related to rockfall and earthflow monitoring (acquisition and processing of TLS data)
- 09/2014: Tutor for practical field course (master program): "Geomorphologisches Geländepraktikum", University of Salzburg, Austria (application of TLS)
- 2009/2010: Experimental tutor (remote sensing / robotics) at the DLR_School_Lab (German Aerospace Center, Oberpfaffenhofen)
- 2006 - 2015: Diverse temporary jobs in sale and gastronomy
Qualifications (selection of field trips and studies within the master programme (see tab)):
- 09/2015: Geomorphological field practice (UE Geomorphologisches Geländepraktikum) focussing on following techniques: Terrestrial Laserscanning, Ground-penetrating Radar and DC Resistivity
- 04 - 05/2015: Practice in Geology (EX Geologische Geländemethoden) focussing on following techniques: record of ground-openings and core-drilling as well as identification of rocks, sedimentary and tectonic structures and their conditions
- 03/2015: Seminar on Process Geomorphology. Term paper (in German): "Systeme in der Geomorphologie "
- 03/2015: Practice (UE Geodata Acquisition) focussing on following techniques: GPS and Photogrammetry (UAV)
- 07/2014: Participant of a field trip to the Alps/ Hohe Tauern and Salzkammergut (EX Naturgefahren und Risiken im Alpenraum) focussing on permafrost and mass movements
- 04/2014: Participant of a field trip to Nepal/ Kali Gandaki (EX Geographische Exkursion) focussing on the Himalayan fluvial systems with respect to tectonic evolution and large rockslide dams. Term paper (in German): "Das Flusssystem des Himalaya unter Berücksichtigung der tektonischen Entwicklung"
- 10/2013: Geophysical field practice (EX Geophysikalische Geländeübungen) focussing on following techniques: Terrestrial Laserscanning, Refraction Seismic and DC Resistivity
- Stumvoll M. J., Götz J., Buckel J.: Surface change modelling of small-scale debris flow dynamics (Mühlsturzgraben National Park Berchtesgaden, Germany). - Jahrestreffen der Österreichischen Forschungsgruppe für Geomorphologie und Umweltwandel 2016 (Innsbruck, Austria, 09/2016). (Poster & Abstract)